#entry 2
Are you ready for a change?
Are you ready for a change?
It was a quarter to two of one Tuesday in August. And
I said to him on the phone: - You have fifteen minutes before my meeting starts.
He asked me to go to a private place to hear what he had to say. I went outside
the building, down the stairs (the same ones that I had fallen down some months
ago – but this is another story) and, with the sea in front of me I waited for
the news.
- It is probable that until the end of the year we will
have to move to Houston. But, don’t tell anyone right now.
I can’t remember what was my reaction in the exact
moment that I heard him. But I can recall what I thought some minutes after: my
book. I was performing my dream to have a book and I wouldn’t be in Brazil to gather
the credits that would come with it.
I went back to the office for the meeting. Don’t ask
me what my boss and my workmates were talking in that moment, because I
couldn’t even heard them. In my mind I had so many thoughts about this big
change that only my body was in that meeting. We had to wait several weeks for
the certainty. And it was terrible because I couldn’t tell anybody, even to my
family.
I left my job, that I loved, in November, forty days
before leaving Rio de Janeiro to spend some days with my family and, almost,
three months after that phone call.
This is not the big change in my life. Actually, this is
the third time that I left my job and move to another city because of my
family. But it is the first time that I change the country. And I will be very
sincere, I thought It would be worse, especially for the language. But now I am
here and I don’t feel myself as an immigrant or “like a fish out of the water”,
as we use to say in Brazil. I think we were lucky to have been transferred to
Houston. The proximity with Mexico and by the quantity of oil and gas companies
that have here, it is a city that is used to living together with people from
all of the world. Sometimes, at the supermarket I can hear any kind of language
except English, and I feel good for that because I think: It is not just me
that is far from home.
To finish this long story, I can say that I overcame
the fear of not understanding and not to be understood by other people, and from
the moment that I realized that, the change became easy. Of course, I still
have so much to learn about English. And, see my daughter completely adapted to
the city and the food and the weather makes me feel more comfortable with all
this change. So, I can say I am ready
for a change. I know that sometimes it won’t be easy, but, for sure, it is
possible live a change in a good way.
Nenhum comentário:
Postar um comentário